HEALTHY OFFICE SNACKS OPTION
When people hear the word ‘snack’, what immediately comes to mind are a list of unhealthy junk foods that are completely fattening and extremely high in calories. The truth however, is that a snack is simply something you eat in between meals and are usually in small quantities. So the choice to have something healthy or complete junk is left entirely up to you.
Now, it has been discovered that people who sit longer especially at the office tend to want to snack more and are more susceptible to consuming more calories. So we have gone round and gathered a few healthy snacks that we consider appropriate for you. They are not only low in calories but are also filling so the urge to keep snacking and consuming more automatically disappears.
- Brown bread sandwich: All you need for this are 2 slices of brown bread, 1 slice of cucumber, 1 or 2 slices of tomatoes [depending on your preference], a slice of ham and a layer of fresh lettuce or cabbage. This simple sandwich snack is just a little over 170 calories.
- Stir fried vegetables: For this simply stir-fry with very minimal oil some vegetables of your choice like, tomatoes, carrots, celery, kidney beans, and basically any vegetable you want to add. This kind of snack is a good way to incorporate a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and fibre into your diet. Now depending on the vegetables you choose to use, an average bowl of stir fry is about 100 – 300 calories.
- Instant oats: I’m sure someone is wondering how oats can be classified a snack. Well, like we already established, a snack is a food you eat in small quantities in between meals; so there is absolutely nothing wrong with snacking on oats. Besides oats now come in small portable sachets that can easily be cooked with a microwave. Oats are said to be low in cholesterol and have the capacity to reduce the risk of heart diseases. And a simple packet is about 110 calories.
- Fruits: When you feel low on sugar and are tempted to go for some sweets or artificial sugars, fruits are your best bet. They contain natural sugars and are filled with antioxidants and vitamins. Note however that fruits vary in their calorie count but on the average, a bowl of fruits should have between 70 – 200 calories.
- Nuts: Among all other snacks we have mentioned, nuts are the most healthy you can find. According to Amanda MacMillan, “Nuts are nature’s way of showing us that good things come in small packages.” Nuts are completely packed with proteins and will fill you up for longer periods. Examples of healthy nuts are: Almonds, Cashew nuts, Hazelnuts and Walnuts. Please note that I did not mention groundnut…as they are not classified as nuts. Groundnuts belong to the legume family.